Homemade Ricotta Cheese
C = 4g P = 14g F = 16g
214 calories per serving
2 qts whole milk
1 c heavy cream
½ t salt
3 T fresh lemon juice
Large fine-mesh strainer
6-qt heavy pot
1. Line strainer with layer of cheesecloth and place into large bowl.
2. Slowly bring milk, cream and salt to rolling boil in pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
3. Add lemon juice, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly until mixture curdles, about 2 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into lined strainer and let drain for 1 hour.
5. After discarding liquid, cover ricotta and chill. Ricotta will keep in refrigerator for 3 days.
Recipe from Gourmet, April 2006